Gadgetren – Story is one of the most popular features on Instagram because it can display moments in the form of videos or photos vertically which will only be displayed for 24 hours.
In Instagram Stories, there are also filters that can present interesting images and effects on the videos that are made so that people who see are entertained.
Therefore, maybe some of you are interested in creating filters on Instagram. But you can’t make it instantly but you have to use Spark AR Studio made by Meta to be able to generate these filters.
Not only Instagram, you can also create filters for Facebook and Facebook Messenger apps using Spark AR Studio. Before creating filters, you should first create assets for texture images using an image processing application or you can search for them on the internet.
To make it easier to implement texture images into filters that blend with faces in the Instagram application, we recommend that you save image assets in .png format so that they can have a transparent background.
Then you can start developing filters on Instagram by following the guide below.
How to Make Instagram Filters
Spark AR Studio Preparation
- Download Spark AR Studio on your computer via the official Spark AR Facebook site
- Once installed, you will be asked to enter your Facebook account and password
- When the data has been entered correctly, then press the Log In button
- After successfully logging in, you will be faced with the Spark AR Studio start page
After you have successfully installed the Spark AR Studio software on your computer or laptop, you can immediately go to the next steps such as embedding your homemade filters to exporting filters.
Initial Filter Creation
- On the Spark AR Studio start page, select the Create New menu on the left
- On the Create New page, select Blank Project
- Right-click the directionalLight0 menu > select Add Object > select Face Tracker
- Right click on faceTracker0 > select Add Object > select Face Mash
- Select faceMesh0 and press the + sign in the Materials section in the Face Mesh Properties
- Next, material0 will appear in the Assets section on the left
- You can do retouching on facial skin so that the filter will look smooth
- Select material0 and select Choose File… in the Texture section of the Material0 Properties
- Next, select a texture image with a .png extension from the storage which will later become a filter effect
- After the texture image is selected, then press the Open button
- Next, the texture image will be directly applied to the user’s face on the Preview page
- Select the Camera menu on the left
- Select USB2.0 HD Live Webcam or other to enable webcam from computer
- Next, your face that uses the filter effect will be visible on the Preview page
- When the filter is as desired, press the Publish button
- On the Publish page, press the Export button
- On the Export page, give the file a name, specify the .arexport extension, and press the Save button
- Then the filter file that has been created will be saved on the laptop
- Visit the official Spark AR Hub website via a browser on a computer
- Later you will be asked to login with your Facebook account and password
- After successfully logging in, you will be faced with the Spark AR Hub Dashboard page
- Select the Publish Effect menu at the top right of the Dashboard page
- On the Publish an Effect page, you are required to provide a filter title, upload a filter file with .arexport extension, select platforms, owner (Facebook account), publisher (Facebook account), categories, keywords, video demos, icons, collaborators, publish time, and see terms from Facebook
- After all is fulfilled, then press the Submit button
- Wait for some time until the filter is audited by Meta
- If your filter is successfully accepted, it can be used directly on Instagram
After your filter has been successfully published on Instagram, you can immediately share it with others so that you can try to apply it to Stories or Reel.
How to make a filter on Instagram or Facebook looks not too easy because you have to use Spark AR Studio and the steps are not short so that the filter can be accepted by Meta.
So you have to pay attention to making Instagram filters from each stage so that the filter is successfully created and of course it can be used in the Instagram application.